The Queens Cup Steeplechase returns to Mineral Springs at 12:30 p.m. April 27. It’s one of the biggest and most unique sporting events in the Charlotte region.
Here are five reasons to go:
• Sports: If you’ve ever accidentally channel surfed and caught yourself fixated on the Kentucky Derby or other Triple Crown events, you should give the thrill of the chase a try. There’s just not a lot of opportunities to watch horse racing live around here.
• Tailgating: If you love tailgating at Carolina Panthers or Charlotte 49ers football games, but wish there was a way to continue the ritual into the spring, then try what’s been dubbed the “Extreme Tailgate Event” of the year.
• Social: Queen’s Cup Steeplechase is that perfect opportunity to showcase that silky dress or seersucker jacket you’ve been dying to dig out of the closet. Not only is it a great place to watch people, but also a fantastic opportunity to point out fabulous hats.
• Charity: The event has raised more than $800,000 since 1996 for area charities. This year’s event will raise money for the Alzheimer’s Association of Western North Carolina. So buy some raffle tickets.
• Extras: If you arrive a little early (gates open at 10 a.m.), you can ride ponies, dine on OooWee BBQ or King of Pops, register for the hat contest or watch Jack Russell Terriers race for glory.
Visit www.queenscup.org for tickets and details.