MONROE – The National School Public Relations Association has recognized Andrew Houlihan as one of 14 Superintendents to Watch.
NSPRA recognizes superintendents with less than five years of experience that have demonstrated communication and outreach efforts. Houlihan will be recognized at NSPRA’s national conference this summer in Washington, DC.
Melissa Merrell, who chairs the Union County Public Schools Board of Education, credited Houlihan for outstanding leadership and community engagement.
“From day one, his enthusiasm created a #TeamUCPS culture that goes beyond our 53 schools and into our entire community,” she said. “He invites everyone to be engaged and #BeTheBest.”
Since being named superintendent of UCPS in 2016, Houlihan and his team have implemented several communication strategies to expand employee and community engagement, including:
• Held listening and learning tour with parents, staff and community members.
• Created #TeamUCPS and #BetheBest to enhance the system’s brand, build employee morale and community support.
• Expanded digital literacy and college/career readiness resources for students.
• Developed Books and Brackets reading challenge.
• Implemented monthly Twitter chats for staff.