WAXHAW – The Cuthbertson girls and Weddington boys ran away with the team titles at the Union County track and field championships April 4 at Cuthbertson.
The Cuthbertson girls were sensational, winning 13 of the 18 events while the Warriors cleaned up eight titles and the host Cavs placed second with four.
Below are all county winners grouped by school:
• Cuthbertson: (13 titles) Anyha Goode, (100 and 200 meters); Mackenzie Townsend, (400 meters); Kaitlyn St. Hilaire, (3,200); Netanya Linares, (100 hurdles, high jump, pole vault and long jump); Jade McLain (triple jump); Kaleigh Million (discus); 4×100 relay (Goode, Addison Benz, Kailyn Hayes and Trista Taylor; 4×200 (Goode, Benze, Dahlia Cutler and Townsend); 4×400 (Presley Worf, Angelina Mangiapanella, Alanna Churchill and Celine Kirchner)
• Weddington: (three) Sarah Bechtel,( 800 and 1,600); 4×800 (Sydney Burke, Anna Davis, Anna Ritter and Emma Jones)
• Forest Hills: (two) Trinity Gatewood, (300 hurdles); Anna Starnes, (shot put)
• Weddington: (eight) Emerson Douds, (100, 200 and 400 meters); Kyle Durham (800 and 1,600 meters); Alec Mock (shot put and discus); 4×800 (Wesley Larson, Stephen Larson, Chase Barajas and Jake Toomey)
• Cuthbertson: (four) Trevor Grant (long jump and triple jump); 4×200 (Bradon Black, Ashton Spangler, Aidan McNally and Ryan Kobziak); 4×400 (Trevor Townsend, Aaron Zimmerman, Brandon Moore and Jaelin Goode);
• Monroe: (two) Joshua Marsh (110 and 300 hurdles)
• Union Academy: (one) Daniel Hasty, (triple jump)
• Parkwood: (one) Marcus Hesske, (pole vault)
• Piedmont: (one) John Ciprich, (3,200 meters)
• Sun Valley: (one) 4×100 (Decue Wilson, Cameron Maddox, Jalen Bethune, Jalen and Isaiah Hall)
Meanwhile, Marvin Ridge and Metrolina Christian represented the county at the Queen City Relays, which took place April 6 at Myers Park High School.
Marvin Ridge’s Caroline Blanton won the 3,200, and Emma Stone took first in the pole vault while the girls distance medley relay took second.
The boys earned first-place finishes from Ethan Basinger (pole vault) and Quinn Cokley (high jump). In addition, the Mavs team of Jason Blizzard, Jackson Colling, Connor Gross and Gunner Hogston won the distance medley relay while the 4×400 relay team took second.
Metrolina Christian’s Lance Penegar won the shot put and was fourth in the discus.