By Daniel Barry
A recent news story asked if Congressional Candidate, Dan McCready is, “ A True Centrist or Too Vague.”
My answer is McCready is just plain vague and perhaps a little naive. McCready continues to dodge hard questions and refuses to take a stand. Reporters continue to press him for answers and continue to get nothing more than political pablum and platitudes from McCready and his campaign.
Election season moves into full swing with only nine weeks remaining.
With no other information available and McCready’s failure to answer direct questions, voters are left only to assume that McCready will be nothing more than a Pelosi pawn. I happen to agree.
Here are a few broad questions for Mr. McCready:
What is McCready’s philosophy on the role of the federal government? Does he support a strong centralized federal government, establishing rules which impact almost every aspect of daily life, or does he support a more limited role recognizing the Constitutional role of the States?
What is McCready’s philosophy on international affairs? Is there a role for the U.S. Military in protecting national interests overseas? Deﬁne that role.
Does he believe the military should be used in nation-building? Who does McCready believe are our greatest allies in Europe and the Middle East? What does he believe the U.S. should be doing to strengthen these relationships?
Here are a few more speciﬁc questions for McCready:
1. If McCready happens to win the fall election, will he vote for a Pelosi speakership? If not, how does he intend to get voters to reconcile the $227,000 Pelosi has spent on his campaign with his lack of support for her? It lacks logic. If elected, what are your top three committee choices? What is his plan to secure one of these appointments without supporting the speaker?
2. Regarding the Democrats in the U.S. House wishing to pursue a Trump impeachment? McCready responds that he won’t answer hypotheticals. All ﬁrst-time candidates have to answer the hypothetical because they have no record. Where does McCready really stand?
3. What is McCready’s proposal for background checks and the gun show “loophole” that he claims to endorse while supporting 2nd Amendment rights? Where does McCready stand?
4. What is McCready’s plan to lower health care cost and reduce the complexities of Obamacare? So far all we have heard is “I want to lower cost,” but what is McCready’s plan?
5. McCready on lowering taxes? The Republicans enacted substantial tax reduction and reform and have “Tax Reform 2.0” on the horizon. How does McCready plan to reduce taxes further without reducing spending or exploding deficits and the national debt? What spending does he plan to decrease or eliminate? In a broader discussion, what is McCready’s spending plan?
6. Social Security and Medicare are presenting huge challenges on the federal budget, running extraordinary deficits and potentially bankrupting the country. What is McCready’s plan to shore up the system for generations to come without substantial tax increases or beneﬁt reductions?
7. What is McCready’s immigration position? Does he support building the wall and closing borders What is the McCready approach to immigration reform? Will he shut down ICE? Where does McCready stand?
8. McCready has built a business using subsidies and special “green energy” provisions in the tax code. Does he disagree that lower taxes and regulation have unleashed the entrepreneurial spirit and economic engine in the U.S. economy post-Republican tax reform? If so, what is the McCready plan? Does McCready believe the tax code chooses “winners and losers?”
Where does McCready stand? McCready just refuses to answer the hard questions – answers the voters of the 9th District deserve to know. It’s time to take a stand, Dan.
Daniel Barry is chairman of the Union County Republican Party. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.