The days of seeing a town hall and a municipal park continue to draw closer for Wesley Chapel, as the village council takes the next steps toward completing the projects.
The council met Monday, Feb. 13, to discuss future plans for the park, which include securing additional grants. The council also discussed plans for the town hall, which include finalizing an agreement with Aston Properties that will bring a shared access road between the town hall and Aston businesses.
Wesley Chapel planning and zoning administrator Joshua Langen reported that the two separate parcels purchased for the park have been successfully recombined into one large parcel.
“They literally just need to go in, delete the line and that’s it,” Langen said, regarding the drawings for the conditional use permit for the park.
The council also reported that it had received a $319,000 reimbursement check for the land purchase from a Parks and Recreations Trust Fund grant and hopes to secure more grants in the future.
“Depending on where we are with payments and whatnot, we may hold off a week or two and ask for a larger amount all at once instead of having to wait another three months, so we’ll kind of maximize that,” Mayor Pro Tem Kim Ormiston said.
Regarding construction of the town hall, the council is waiting to solidify an agreement with Aston Properties on construction of a shared access road that will run between the Aston businesses and the town hall and intersect with Hwy. 84 on the east side of the Aston shops.
In the proposed agreement, Wesley Chapel will be responsible for covering 32.3 percent of the road’s construction cost, with Aston covering the remaining 67.7 percent. The total cost of the project is not to exceed $100,000.
However, some citizens at the meeting were concerned that the process is delaying the construction of the town hall, with one citizen pointing out that the road is holding up the site plan, which must be completed before the CUP can be done.
To help expedite the process, the council voted unanimously to approve an amendment to the agreement that will allow the plans to be broken up into three categories (budgeting, design and construction) with expected completion dates on each phase.
“We can have (the town’s attorney) throw in a design phase, and we’ll throw a date on there,” council member Howard Brotton said. “In the meantime, I’ll talk to Aston and see what’s reasonable when it comes to the construction plan.” q