Agreement to be drafted, construction to begin soon
Wesley Chapel and Aston Properties are on the verge of closing an agreement that will bring a 233-foot access road connecting Hwy. 84, the forthcoming town hall, and the businesses owned by Aston Properties that lie adjacent to the town hall.
The village council reported Monday, Jan 9 that Aston is drafting an agreement letter to the council for approval, hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks. If the agreement is approved, Aston, who is in charge of the road’s construction, will be given the green light to begin work.
“Once we give the ‘okay’ to Aston, it’s entirely in their hands,” village council member Howard Brotton said.
Plans for the access road have been in the works for quite awhile. After the Wesley Chapel village council voted last year against a proposal from Aston that requested a shared stormwater pond in return for the road, a new partnership was forged.
Both parties agreed to allow 50 percent of the road to be included on the other’s property. Construction costs were split between the two, with Wesley Chapel providing 32.3 percent of the total cost and Aston funding the remaining 67.7 percent. A cap was placed on the project, stating that the maximum amount Wesley Chapel will pay for the road is $35,000. The village also has the right to terminate the contract if the entire construction cost exceeds $110,000.
The village council and Aston decided that the road should be built to Aston Properties standards, which are stricter than those of the North Carolina Department of Transportation. Although the entire cost of the project is not yet known, Aston estimates a total cost of approximately $90,000.
The council recently had boring samples drawn from the ground to test the topography. The results of those samples should be reported this week, although the council does not expect any problems with the land. “There’s always that small possibility, so we wanted to get it checked out,” Brotton said.
As construction of the town hall draws nearer, the council is planning to host a groundbreaking ceremony on the Town Hall’s construction site sometime in the near future. But first, the council wants to submit the bid packages and hire a construction firm. “The goal for the bid package is to have the package out for bid by March 1,” Brotton said.