by Mike Parks
The Foxhole Landfill could still be picked as the new home for residential waste if the county can’t agree on a new contract with its current dumping grounds.
Mecklenburg County Solid Waste Director Bruce Gledhill said ReVenture’s developer, Forsite Development Inc., will scale back the size of the proposed park from a 20-megawatt facility to a 10-megawatt facility and no longer wishes to use Foxhole as a landing spot for waste from the park. That’s good news for Marvin residents who have complained about the discussed option of annually dumping roughly 70,000 tons of residual ash from the ReVenture Park at Foxhole.
However, Foxhole may still be on the table to start receiving residential waste if the county cannot approve a new contract with Speedway Landfill in Concord. Earlier this month, Gledhill said Foxhole was off the table as an option for the residential waste as the county had received proposals for a contract extension with the Cabarrus County landfill, where waste is scheduled to go as of now until July 1, 2012.
The county says they are in negotiations for a multi-year waste disposal contract with the Speedway Landfill. Those proposals are good until October 1, Gledhill told South Charlotte Weekly on Tuesday. But as for now, the “status is still the same” with the proposal, Gledhill said, and the county will continue to negotiate with the Speedway Landfill’s owner, Republic Services Inc.
Currently, Foxhole only receives construction and demolition waste. Local residents, in two recent public hearings, have been adamant that things stay that way, and have said in interviews that they won’t feel safe about the local landfill until the county comes to a long-term agreement with the group in Concord about providing waste services.
Foxhole is at 17131 Lancaster Hwy., near the county border with South Carolina and Union County, just south of Ballantyne and Elon Park.