Unclaimed funds still sitting in government coffers
Right now, slightly more than $114,000 owed to Union County residents sits in Internal Revenue Service coffers, the agency said. The money is part of a larger $3 million pot of undelivered refunds the agency wants to return to thousands of North Carolinians.
Union County’s uncollected returns average $2,122, higher than the nationwide average of $1,471.
The IRS can’t return the money because the agency doesn’t have a correct mailing address, IRS North Carolina spokesman Mark Hanson said.
“More than 4,400 Carolina taxpayers are due one or more refund checks that could not be delivered because of mailing address errors,” Hanson said.
Taxpayers can collect their money simply by contacting the federal agency with their correct address.
The best way for residents to update their address is to log on to the agency’s website and click on the “Where’s My Refund” tool on the main page. Residents also can call 1-800-829-1954.
Below is a list of Union County residents the IRS is trying to reach:
• Indian Trail: Michael A. Barber, Fiona Grose, Thomas C. Hairston, Lillian Rodriguez Camacho and Alissa D. Smith.
• Matthews: Hugo Diaz, Olga Diaz Morales and Iris Resto Colon.
• Waxhaw: Robert J. and Sheryl M. Cannon, Thomas R. Carney, Raymond L. King and Michael A. Robinson.
• Monroe: Migdalia Acevedo Molano, Gloria C. Allen, Elizabeth Casana, Amador Castrejon Chavarria, Gabriel Cotres Feliciano, E. Antonio and E. Isidoro Lar Dominguez, Mizael Garcia Negron, Charline Grady, Sara V. Hartley, Victor Hernandez-Sanchez, Matthew R. Hilton, Mervin D. and Mary S. Hinson, Phyllis L. Hubbard, Jonathan P. Lamar, Joann Manigault, Jose Martinez Santiago, Ramon Mendoza Santiago, Ramon Mendoza-Juarez, Jeremy Napier, Leon Navarro Lopez, James C. Pender, Rey Peredo Miranda, Socorro Perez-Olvera, Lee C. Queen, Jimmy R. Rushing, Jermey Shannon, Phonesavanh Souvannarath, Martin Villareal, Francisco Viveros and Lawrence J. and Jessica Wyble.
• Wingate: Edwin Samuel Lopez Aviles and Luis J. Rivera Rosario.
• Marshville: Lymari Ayala Moran, Miguel Calo Viera, Maria M. Congora Lopez, Luisa Martinez Rosado, Maria de Jesus Martinez, Ezequiel Ruiz Cruz, Mateo Salazar Cruz and Gerardo Suarez Hernandez.
• Mineral Springs: Raymond P. Oljeski and Joshua L. Ray.