MARVIN – More than 125 people from two churches celebrated a traditionally Southern “Dinner on the Grounds” Aug. 9 at the Banks Presbyterian Church.
The congregations of Banks and Marvin A.M.E. Zion Church renewed their historically grounded harmony with a potluck dinner, followed by combined worship.
The Rev. Scott Hilborn, pastor of Banks Presbyterian Church, welcomed the two congregations. After a rousing songfest, the Rev. Dr. Haven O. Anderson, pastor of Marvin A.M.E.Z., brought the message of Christian love.
The two congregations’ relationship goes back 100 years when the Ross family owned most of what is today Marvin.
The historic roots of Marvin racial harmony were brought to light by the dissemination of “Inherit the Land,” by Union County author Gene Stowe.
Miss Sallie and Miss Maggie Ross were benefactresses of both congregations. The Ross sisters are interred in the Marvin cemetery on New Town Road.
Banks Church (EPC) is located at 10012 New Town Road. Marvin A.M.E.Z. Church is located at 1525 Crane Road.